Unfortunately, API development is still quite handcrafted, having to reinvent the wheel in every project, and lacking general consensus on what constitutes best practices.
On the other hand, most of the times it is thought that having a RESTish API is enough, not caring about making an API easy to use and helpful for our users.
usemyapi.com will be a meeting point, a place to discuss about APIs, REST, usability, authentication, scalability, versioning, metadata, DSLs, security, analytics, monetization, API trends or any other subject of interest for the community.
We provide the venue, garden, coffee, bbq, drinks, projector, blackboards and wifi. You provide the contents.
As in any other unconference, the agenda will be deliberately relaxed and it will emerge from whatever the participants prefer. Time, format and subjects of the talks are completely open; they might go from a five minutes personal rant to an hour workshop, going through any other kind of talk.
If it is interesting for those who attend, then it can be done. You don't need to deliver a talk in order to attend, but the more the merrier!
If you want to give a talk or moderate a discussion, or if you want to suggest subjects for the unconference, you can do it at https://usemyapi.jottit.com
usemyapi is a free event. We would love to be able to accept hundreds of developers (next time, maybe), but unfortunately our place/office has a limited
capacity, and there is also the beer issue, because we have to calculate the number of barrels we will need.
To attend, please register at https://aspgems.stagehq.com/events/1375.
At the moment we are fully book, but we keep a waiting list in case we get any
In parallel with the unconference, we are starting a contest for those developers who want to make any kind of software using the API from
invoicefu. If you want to win an iPad or just want to make an application that rocks, please visit the
At ASPgems we do love web development. Along the last years we have been watching a strong trend to the web of services, and we have been developing APIs for several of our projects.
While developing invoicefu we wanted to try something: building first the API and then all the rest needed for a whole web application. We are really satisfied with the results, but we realized there is a lot to learn, and a lot to share with the community, regarding API development.
Following the Open Source Community spirit of sharing knowledge, we have organized usemyapi.com to get together people with the same interests.
During the inscription period all those interested in the event have to visit https://usemyapi.jottit.com/concurso and register as participants. Registration is free and mandatory to participate in the challenge USEMYAPI.
- All projects must be registered through the site wiki during the time given.
- Projects can be dedicated to any kind of web service, including: web sites, widgets, mashups, mobile apps, that do any use of invoicefu.com API of invoicefu.com
- There will be no limits on the group size.
- Each group can submit several projects.
- All projects must be licensed under a licence approved by OSI. A list of the licences can be consulted at http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical
- All projects must provide public access to their source codes.
- All projects have to be available for the organization, other participants and general public, in order to review them with an url.
- All participants do accept public and free access to their application until the jury had decided the result of the contest USEMYAPI awards, at least.
- Applications must be deployed before May 30th, 2012.
- Projects can use any library, module, plugins or frameworks that are already published at the opening of the enrollment time.
- Those projects, that according to the jury or organization opinion, result to be offensive, defamatory, xenophobic or going, in any sense, against the civil rights or disrespectful with people´s dignity, will be automatically disqualified.
- All participants do accept and authorize ASPgems to use their projects and their images on diffusion campaigns or for any purpose on line with the API of invoicefu.com
The prize will be given in the weeks after May 30th 2012 at ASPgems headquarters placed at Sextante, 9 28023 Madrid. The organization will contact the winner
after reviewing all the candidates and reaching a decission.
The competition USEMYAPI 2012 is open to any person, group of people and organizations. Participants must be older than 18 or prove their legal guardian consent by a written authorization.
Participation at USEMYAPI 2012 involves full acceptance of these bases and decisions, that are ultimate and binding to any issue related to the USEMYAPI contest. Winning any award will be abided by fulfilling all requirements stated in this document.
The contest awards will be chosen by ASPgems management team. Following criteria will be considered:
- DEVELOPMENT CREATIVITY
Participation in the contest implies the consent from the participant, for ASPgems to be entitled to make use of the winner´s name, his/her projects and their images at any media over the world, without additional payment or consideration.
RESTRICTION OF LIABILITIES
The participant states an guarantees that he/she, and no other, has developed the application submitted to the contest. Likewise, each project is the participant´s sole and exclusive property and liability, and under no circumstances ASPgems will be responsible of the project or their uses.